We’re only a few weeks away from a new school year, which means back to school (BTS) shopping, fall sports practices, carpool lines and less flexibility in our schedules. Most of us mommas have mixed feelings about this because it’s definitely nice to get back to an established weekly routine, but it’s so hard to give up the carefree time with your kids.
While walking with my neighborhood stroller moms earlier this week, we were all chatting about our impending BTS to do lists and it led to each of us sharing our favorite end of summer activities with our kids. So, naturally, I just have to share them with you.
Here’s our list:
- Backyard camping. Camp out under the stars, make s’mores on the grill, tell stories or watch movies.
- Cooking with kids. It’s so easy to let them help make muffins for breakfast, personal pizzas for lunch or trail mix for their snack, and (added bonus) they tend to be more excited to eat things that they’ve helped make.
- Get crafty. Try finger paints, Lego creation contests, sidewalk chalks or anything else that inspires creativity and your kids’ imaginations.
- Pack a picnic. A go-to fave of mine because eating outside is always fun and a lot less cleanup.
- Splash around. The sprinklers or the pool always do the trick. Sure, you’ve done this all summer but you only have a few weeks left so enjoy them!
- Cool off with a build your own ice cream sundae bar. A unanimous favorite among the stroller moms’ kids.
- Water balloon wars. Let’s be honest, this is fun at any age.
- Movie marathon nights. Set aside the screen time limits for a night and binge watch some of your family’s favorite flicks!
- Writing letters to Grammy and Pop. My kids love getting mail and I’ve recently discovered that they love sending it too. And what grandparent out there doesn’t love getting artwork or a letter from the grandbabies?
- Plant an herb garden for the fall. Kids love playing in the dirt so why not check something off your to do list while you’re at it?
- Go old school with classic board games. Put down the iPads and video games and have a family game night with Candy Land instead of Candy Crush.
- Dress up parties and playdates. Let them wear those super hero costumes and have princess tea parties as much as they want while they can.
- Visit the museum or aquarium. Mix in a little educational fun on a family field trip to your local attractions.
- Celebrate going back to school. Most kids are less than thrilled to go back to school so throw a party to help get them excited.
- Start BTS shopping early! Keep building excitement and take them shopping for a few things before the big sales. Maybe it’s only the Princess Sofia backpack or new shoes that they’ve been eyeing, but new gear for the new school year is a great way to wind down the summer.
Speaking of shopping, the TangerStyle Fall Guide will be in your mailboxes soon so keep an eye out for your coupons as you begin prepping for your BTS shopping trip. And don’t forget to use your surprise BTS deal from your Tanger app download last week!
I hope some of these ideas help inspire great end of summer memories with your kids.